Perlin Visualizer and Random Planet Maker
See the actual applet in action here! Note that it may be a bit laggy with animation on. Especially over the net.
When I started my raytracer I began to look at perlin noise, a wonderful algorithm used by thousands of production companies and special effects crews. Perlin noise is basically a smooth pseudo-random function. Which basically means it gives you hills instead of skyscrapers. Most people really are not interested in me describing noise to them, so I instead wrote an application to visualize it. Voila! The perlin noise visualizer and planet maker!
So heres the features of my fun little project. I only had a few days to write it, so dont judge:
- Visualize Perlin noise in 2D and 3D.
- Can edit three different values to get endless varieties of noise. (Peturbation, Zoom, and Octaves)
- Six different variations of the noise function toplay with.
- Can rotate the noise in 2D and 3D by using a sphere.
- Animate the noise in real time.
- Make a bump map on the surface of thesphere to give it a planet like look.
- Can change the surface color.
- Supports two lights whose colors can be changed.
- Can save the image(s) as a .png .jpg or an animated .gif file.
- Can impress your friends with your awesome artistic ability.
Different types of noise:
Different color lights and a Bump Map.
The 2D plane view of noise.
Marble settings and other tweaks for a fire texture.
An image created by the Perlin Noise Visualizer: